Monday, April 5, 2010

Goodbyes

So, today is proving to be harder than I anticipated. I hope post something more positive shortly (from London? ) but for now I'm just going to copy what my brother Chip wrote to me because it really is my prayer today:
Make it home. In both sense of the phrase.



Make Soroti home. Settle in; claim it as your own. Become one of the members of that community. Invest in the future of that place. Consider yourself a local.


But also, make it back home. Remember that you have family and friends in this hemisphere that love you and want to see you return occasionally. We are supporting you and believe that we have made a good investment in a people we have not met. But our biggest investment is in you, your growth, your connection to God. And we want you to come back and share your stories and let us weep and laugh and pray with you. We will all miss you, but the missing is softened by the knowledge that you are walking the road God has paved for you and that this road does pass by our doors occasionally.

5 comments:

Kelly Elizabeth said...

Ok, Jennifer, I am so glad I called you today. :) This post brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't be more proud of you...you are an awesome friend and sister-in-Christ. I remember those Bible studies and always wished there were more...so thankful for the time with you and yes, will miss you....but go do your work and do it well! God Bless and thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I have been thinking of you all day..wondering what you were feeling as you boarded the plane. I know you will do great things. I will miss you...and your sense of humor :) Looking forward to following the blog. Safe travels to you and Becky!!
*Carrie

Kathleen said...

I was thinking of you guys today, and have been praying for you a lot lately. A few tears too, of course. Chip said it very well! I hope you got my letter--not quite as short and to the point, but heartfelt nonetheless. :) Safe travels!
Kathy

Aunt Pat said...

Jenny: This comes with love and white lights to you for safe travel. I know in my heart this mission has been your dream since you and your family returned from Africa years ago. But I cannot help but shed a tear reading Chips letter, he says it all. Do your work for God and return home to your family safely. You are and will be in my heart and prays.
Love, Aunt Pat

shirley said...

Jennifer, what a fine brother you have. He said it well. I'll be praying for you and Becky. My heart and thoughts are with you. God bless.

Shirley