Friday, February 29, 2008

I could go for something frozen...

So... where to begin? I cant believe that I've been here two weeks already! The rest of the team has left and Im in a pretty secure routine already. I spend the mornings in the clinic doing dressing changes on the kids with some fungal infections, coughs and upset stomaches thrown in for good measure. Then I spend all afternoon documenting the 300+ physical assessments the other nurses and I did on all the kids last week. For those of you who worked with me on my last night and are remembering my words about how I was done charting for 6 weeks- feel free to keep those comments to yourself. Im struggling a little with a few of the things they do here but God is good and He has given me more thqn enough work to do to keep me occupied with the things I CAN change. The woman I work with in the afternoon- Rasmata- speaks good english and she is a blessing from God. Sometimes I help her after the generator comes on in the evening to help her catch up on the work she doesnt get done because she is translating for me. She says that at the end of this week we will get the yearly ht. and wt. on all the kids so when Im done documenting assessments Ill have something else to do!
So what else do you want to know about? It is hot here. I want a quick word with anyone who said " yeah, but it is dry heat." Because you are right. You can see the moisture being sucked directly out of your body. I can tell that Im going to get used to being prepetually dehydrated.
The people here are wonderful. My cook (yeah I know- more about her later) practically waits on me. The workmen will bend over backward to help me (as long as it isnt between the hours of 1 and 4pm- practically everyone sleeps during this time as it is too hot to do anything else). The kids are- well kids. 327 of them at last count but no one seems to count too often. Well, Im going to run out of cfa shortly. Pardon the poor typing (french keyboard). Ill try to post again next week. I hope you all are well.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Jenny-
I know you are doing God's work there. I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for keeping us updated!
hugs,
erin

Kathy said...

It was so good to hear from you, Jenny! I've been hoping and praying that all was going well. Can't wait to see some pictures : )
Love and prayers,
Kathy

mbhendriksen said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Prayers to you for God's grace and mercy. He is soooo good!

Marybeth

Kelly said...

Jennifer! I miss you!! I know you are probably have a GREAT time. I am praying for you everday! It sounds like you are staying busy. You have a cook? seriously? what? I am laughing about that.... :)


Kelly

Big D Photo Girl said...

Glad to hear things are going well. You seem so excited about having this opportunity! Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences in the weeks to come

Big D Photo Girl said...

Sorry for the confusion..my blogpage has my user name there...that last post was from me, Dana, from work...