Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas to all and to all joy!

This year more than any other, I have felt sad and sympathetic when anyone told me they were not enjoying the season or didn't look forward to Christmas. I love this time of year- but I grew up knowing why we celebrate and feeling the joy of the season. But, really why do I have this joy this time of year? How do I pass it on? As I was pondering this around midnight Christmas eve I realized part of the answer was right there in front of me sitting open to Luke 2:14- the second half of the angle's message. Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests. The joy that fills me up is because my God is here and he cares about me- He made that enormous trip from heaven to earth because His favor rests on me.
Emmanuel- God with us. The God of this universe cares about us his creation and is a part of my life. He wants to be a vital part of who I am and what I do! The joy, peace, love, grace and mercy that is so evident this time of year, this season- not about shopping or parties, of gifts- well, only one gift. The gift that made God accessible to us!
So there is the first part of my question. But how do I share it without sounding like a nut? I want one more person to tell me that they don't look forward to Christmas so that I can attempt to share just a piece of my joy. How can I not? Emmanuel- my God is with us!

No comments: