Monday, December 1, 2008

What is God asking of me?

"I will not give to the LORD my God that which cost me nothing."



One of the speakers at the conference I was just at (Dr. Jefferson McKinney) talked about considering the cost of service to the Lord. He obviously was talking about mission work but doesn't this apply to all that we do for God? What is our motivation? Why do I do the things that I do? Am I doing the things that God is asking me to do or am I looking for excuses? My reason to do what He asks needs to become-Because I am a in such a deep debt. I owe so much, this thing that the Lord is asking of me is nothing compared to the cost that He paid.

Sometimes the things that He asks us to do are hard. We have a tendency to whine, to complain and then to quit. And that is where grace comes in. There are returns in this life and in the next. But sometimes things are still hard.

We have a tendency to ask "Was it worth it?" But this question implies "was it worth it to me?"But it isn't about me. It is about God. Philippians 3:10 says : I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.

So, I will learn to give nothing to my Lord which cost me nothing. Anyone have any insights to share?

No comments: