Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving...

I was thinking about giving thanks to God this year... someone at work told me "it's hard to give thanks this year. My boyfriend lost his job and now I'm sick!" Bills, job loss, illness or death, difficult economy, so many things that prevent a feeling of thankfulness. But I was reminded that the first thanksgiving was celebrated in a year when 7 time more graves were dug than shelters were built. Yet they gave thanks.


As we go around the table today we list the things we are thankful for. But here is what I'm thinking....


  • I'm thankful for a house and a warm place to sleep (even if it is a 100 year old piece of work), but if my house was gone I would still thank my God.
  • I'm thankful for all this good food, but I know that many who are hungry today are still thankful.
  • I'm thankful for wonderful family and friends, but even if I were lonely I would be thankful that my Lord is a close friend.
I have an overflow of joy today not because of circumstances, as they may be hard sometimes, but I am giving thanks for God's presence in my circumstances regardless of what they are.

No comments: