Saturday, March 13, 2010

Amazing

I’m really sorry to admit this but somehow I missed the miracle. I think I was so focused on learning all I could on L&D that I missed just how amazing new life really is. But last night I got to slow down just a little and enjoy. It really is a wonderful thing when the parents are together and stable, having thought through parenthood, are equipped and supported, ready, the right age and prepared. When labor goes smoothly and in the quiet of the morning a new life joins two loving parents. A life that was created from nothing and has had the breath of God breathed into it. Just figuratively, literally it was a tiny dark blue ambubag that put the first breaths of life into him but it was God that formed these amazing little lungs that in a matter of minutes can switch from being filled with fluid to processing air in a life sustaining way. A tiny, blue, lifeless, slippery form becomes a pink breathing baby in a matter of minutes. Miraculous. You can actually see the circulation from an umbilical cord shut down as his tiny heart takes over the work that it will do for the next 70+ years. It makes the first 7,200 beats successfully in the first hour of life outside the womb. He responds to touch, and sound. He is ready to eat and he can communicate that need clearly. He is already easily comforted by his mother more than anyone else. Astonishing. Wow God. Thanks for letting me see birth this way instead of just as a medical challenge with problems to prevent. I’m sorry that I missed the miracle earlier and I ask that you help me never miss it again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! And that is why my job is amazing!