Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Triathlons

Back in January I felt like I really needed to start training for something and a triathlon seemed achievable.  Then reality set in and most of the time it felt like I’d never be ready.  But June in Michigan proved fortifying. I got some solid swims in and the change from my antiquated and poorly maintained Ugandan bike to my racing bike made it seem possible again.
Transition 1
This swim was terrifying!
So, I managed to complete my first Olympic distance Tri and do far better than I thought I would. The mile swim was cold and long but I completed in 33 min, then a 40K bike ride (25 miles) in just over an hour then a 10k run in 52 minutes. I was the 5th female to finish and the 14th overall out of a field of about 150. Final time: 2 hours, 45 minutes.




I'll walk again eventually. 






























The following weekend went up to Big Rapids and after an eleven year hiatus, I reclaimed my title of fastest female in the CHR sprint triathlon. All the distances felt way to short and painfully fast after the long one but it was a fun day and didn't require nearly as much recovery time. 7:30 for a 400m swim, 20 min for a 5 mile bike and 25 min for a 5k and barely two min in transition I had a final time of 55:11.  (1st Female, 6th Overall out of a field of about 75).





Look! Only four seconds behind Michael Phelps!

Transition 1



2006 and 2017
Lots of family and friends came along to cheer and we had a nice picnic lunch (and a recovery nap!) on the beach after.

No comments: