Thursday, April 21, 2011

Housekeeping

I've been a bit "under the weather" lately which is code for "I've been sick with who-knows-what but it isn't malaria, typhoid or cholera." (Schistosomiasis has not yet been ruled out but don't worry, its most likely the flu.) Anyway, that being said, I've been doing a bit of sitting around because I can't seem to drum up enough energy to do much else. I have had plans to work critically on the blog because I feel like it is so egocentric lately. Well, I guess that is stupid as it is a blog about my life, how can it not be egocentric? But I want it to be about life here, not just MY life here. So, I'm striving for some new perspective. (Hopefully) Over the next few weeks you'll get some new stuff on here. I have 35 posts that I've started since arriving in Uganda but are still in the draft phase and need work but you'll see (some of) them. Also, and here is where I need your help, please let me know what you want to read about!!! Stuff here has become just life for me and I've forgotten a bit of what is unusual and what you'd like to hear about. (Because I've been sick I tossed a movie in last night. I haven't done that in a really long time. But the movie showed the freezer aisle of  a grocery story and I was amazed that I'd kind of forgotten about those. And highways with overpasses, signs, exit ramps and crazy stuff like that. And white people, so many really white people.) Wow, on that note, thats enough rambling for today. 

*** Funny addendum: So school kids are on holiday for the next month. That means there are a multitude of kids here right now. As I typed grocery store aisle I actually first wrote isle. I knew that was wrong but couldn't figure out the right word- I blame it on my currently unidentified illness- so I typed it in on another page to figure it out. Well, for some reason I was on google images. I found the word I wanted, finished the blog and hit post. Then the google page popped up. 4 kids looking over my shoulder quickly yelled to the others to come look at the pictures. (They LOVE ANY pictures.) Go try it. Type in grocery store aisles (or isles) and see the images you get. Now pretend you have to explain to 20+ children under the age of 15 what those pictures are.  And for them this :
 is the biggest market they have ever seen.

No comments: