Friday, March 30, 2012

RRC team

I have a list a mile long to accomplish today but I really needed a few minutes to sit quietly and think and  I do that best in this medium so this morning finds me sitting at my computer. I feel like I have so much to write about I don't even know where to begin....
The team from my church in Michigan is here. They are already about half way through their time and it has been crazy busy. There is so much that they want to see and do. Consistently their days begin before 7am and don't end until after 9pm. I find myself rushing home at the end of the day to get ready for the next one then crash into bed and far too quickly drag myself back out of it gather the day's supplies, load the truck and head back to the guest house to pick them up. Today we had breakfast at 6 so they could be on the road in good time. They are headed out to Obalanga to construct a memorial at the mass graves and then going to Morungatuny to meet some of the former child soldiers, to hear their stories and see where they live. (Former child soldiers from the LRA, Kony, etc... this seem familiar?) I stayed back to make some "mazungo" food for them, get ready for the next project and just catch my breath a bit. It has been a whirlwind week. We traveled out to the peace village in Karamoja and stayed a night there. We taught a maternal/child class in the Obule church and a lesson on reconciliation in Pingray. We visited the Sikh temple and spent quite a bit of time talking with the leader of the temple and the others who live with him. (more general information).  Tomorrow we'll spend the morning with the street boys and in the afternoon the youth group that Beckie works with in Kamuda. 
Alright, time to go to market before the day is 100 degrees but I'll try to post again soon! 
Oh wait- a few of you have asked about Solomon, the baby monkey. I'm happy to report that he found his forever family. There is absolutely no way I could have cared for him this week so I'm really happy that the Tiesengas took him. Their kids love him and he has a great home there. (pictures here

No comments: