Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Big bird, Oscar the grouch and Cookie monster


Bobby and Rachel are team mates in Soroti who spend quite a bit of their time working with runaways, homeless children and street kids in town. I got this from Bobby the other day and want to share his prayer request with you

Hey Team, 

I don't often talk about the street kids ministry much but I wanted to write  to simply ask for prayer.
I have a picture that I took last Monday of a street boy named Omojel George William.  I took the picture because of the t-shirt that he was wearing.  It was faded and dirty but the picture on the shirt was of Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch and the rest of the Sesame Street characters with the words written "I was raised on the street".  Initially I laughed at the shirt and thought that it was quite intuitive.  I thought, how ironic is it that a 'street kid' in Soroti would be wearing such a shirt.  Coincidence or not, as time has gone on my heart breaks at the thought that so many boys, and girls, for that matter, are raised on the streets.  For whatever reason, they seek shelter, belonging, family, and 'life' on the streets.  The truth is, the streets are a place where they receive no love, no affection, no food, and no guidance. 

Denis and I spent the morning today praying together at the TECDEFO house for each of the street kids.  We were led to a passage in Lamentations that spoke directly to us.Lamentations 2:19 says, "Arise, cry out in the night, as the watches of the night begin: pour out your heart like water in the presence of the LORD. Lift up your hands to Him for the lives of your children, who faint from hunger at the head of every street."
Would you lift up your hands and cry out in prayer with us for these boys by name?  (These are the names of the boys that have come to the TECDEFO house since Denis and I have been back in Soroti)  

Olinga Abdu Razak
Ocumar Moses
Odongo Steven
Omalet Joel
Omojel George William
Orianga Joseph
Okello Joseph
Emmanuel
Ogwel Juma
Oteka Patrick
Odiamo Brian
Musana John Michael
Osweu Shida
Elungat Joseph
Ibrahim Saidi
Opio Emmanuel
Otim Solomon
Otwao Vincent
Mahmad Adam
Eriaku Moses


Grace and Peace,
bobby kolb

No comments: