Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dieing of the swine flu...



The swine flu is killing me. Not that I have a fever, cough or anything but I have so many things I want to be doing but I'm working some loooong hours instead. I can't really turn down all the extra time but I have to admit I'm getting tired of it. Urgent care is set up and staffed to see about 40 patients per day. We hit 82 one day this week. That means that I put on a gown, gloves and mask waaaaay too many times. By the end of an 8 (or 10) hour shift it feels something like this picture.

Sitting here listen to NPR... my blood pressure is climbing. The voices are discussing if the news media has handled this well. I have an opinion I would like to share.... NO!!!!

"During a typical year in the United States, 30,000 to 50,000 persons die as a result of influenza viral infection" - this is the regular flu that we have every year. So far we have had 2 deaths to this new influenza. We are over reacting just a little!

This is the news report I want to hear:
"This just in.... the swine flu is not nearly as bad as we have been reporting. If you start a fever with cough and congestion call your primary care provider. If you are otherwise healthy, stay home, rest, drink lots of fluids and YOU WILL BE FINE. Please quarantine yourself for a short time and most of all do not run out to have a flu test. It just overloads an already malfunctioning system and prevents testing of the elderly and young. Most likely you do not have the swine flu- just one of many virus going around. Please use common sense people! We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programing."

O.
K. I'm done venting now. Time to go back to work.

No comments: