Monday, May 2, 2016

Immunizations


I'm not joining the immunization debate. I see it often on FB and I hate it. But, I am going to write about immunization day in Obulle. Wednesdays, once a week. Any child under five gets free immunizations, vitamin A and dewormers. I happily participate because I've seen too many kids here blind after having measles. I've seen far too many people struggling with debilitating handicaps because of polio.  I've seen too many deaths due to tetanus. All of these things very preventable (and fully prevented in the developed world) with simple immunizations. I've never seen a single child here with autism. But I'm not entering the debate.

The clinic is only three rooms and with all those crying kids it is easier to just keep everyone outside. Cooler too. It gets pretty sweaty we we all start crowding inside. John is the tall guy in red standing on the left side of the picture. He is the government nurse assigned to work out here. He usually does the recording in the books we submit each week to the district. Tony is the guy sitting at the table in white. He is the "manager." He doesn't have any medical training but people love him and he gets all the credit for increasing awareness in this area for how important these immunizations are for kids. He is a very hard worker and acts as my translator for hours on end. He also does all the recording in the patient's immunization record. I mix vials and inject.  Pretty sure I have the easiest job.  We have a great system and do roughly 40 immunizations on an average morning. 





No comments: