Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Pretty sure this should be only for nurses

Warning, this post might be a bit much for non-medical people. It was a bit much for me and I'm supposed to be trained in this sort of thing.
I was called yesterday evening from the clinic with a woman who had been pushing without progress for too long and the staff didn't feel comfortable. They called me to come assess and possibly transport into the hospital. So I headed out.
Well, I'm not sure crowning is the right word, but baby was presenting nose first as I entered the labor room. I've never seen anything quite like it. Eyes, nose mouth, I could see the whole face and nothing else.  There are more graphic pictures out there but lets just stick with this one. Thankfully after a quick episiotomy, which by the way I'd never done before with a scissors let alone with the scalpel blade I'd been handed, the baby slid right out. Baby girl struggled quite a bit for the first hour and the mother bled far more than I liked and sewing up tears should be rewarded with Olympic medals but we all survived.

It was also the first time I convinced a father to do skin to skin so the night was full of firsts. Baby was cold for a long time (which seems strange as I'm sure the delivery room was 110 degrees as I had sweated through my scrubs before I even got gloves on) but she looked really good when I checked in on them this morning.
This is the mother and her attendant recovering afterwards.

And this is the nurse cleaning up the war zone that is our delivery room. 

No comments: