Saturday, May 9, 2009

Comfortable in the center of God's will?

Ever read II Corinthinans 11? Mostly I'm talking about four verses near the end:
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.
These are the words of Paul- one of the greatest missionaries who every left his home for the sake of spreading the story of Jesus. Right at the beginning of Paul's ministry- only days after he stopped being Saul- God tells people how much Paul was going to suffer for him.
Now this was a guy right in the center of God's will!!! I often find myself thinking that when I'm in the center of God's will I will be the most comfortable. You know, like in the eye of the storm- I just have to travel with the storm. Stay in the center of God's will and be "untroubled", "sheltered", "comfortable". f I'm doing exactly what God asks life will be great, right? Do you find yourself thinking the same? Maybe we need to rethink this....
Paul was doing what God called him to do when he found himself in jail. He was going where God told him to go when he was shipwrecked- not once, not twice, but 3 different times. (Shipwrecked? Have you ever been shipwrecked? Was it like "The Perfect Storm" kind of wreak?) He was talking to the people God sent him to when he was beaten and left for dead... beaten to death?! When doing what God asked?!
Maybe I have it backwards. Maybe it is when I am comfortable that I am out of the will of God...I have some more pondering to do....

No comments: