Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Follow Me!

Jesus called each of us to follow him.
Mark 2:14 "Follow me," Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

"Follow me." He said it to me and He says it to you. But wait! He didn't say where! Or how! Or for how long! Or though what!
"Follow me." No explanation is offered. Only the command.
Following means letting someone else lead though. I like to lead, I'll just do it this time.
But this implies that I want Jesus to follow me instead. Not acceptable. And then I'm not following the command.
O.K.- you lead. I guess you know the way better than me.
"Follow me."
But where are we going? Where are you taking me? I'm afraid you will take me through unknown territory! I would just like to see your overall plan and direction for my life.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me".

All you are asking is that I follow. I guess there is no promise to hold the map, huh?

Isiah 42:16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.

That is a good promise instead though. One step at a time, never alone.

But what am I to do with this one?
Matthew 10:38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
I have a lot to work on.....

No comments: