Monday, May 18, 2009

Journey

I found myself saying a couple of times this weekend (sometimes to others, mostly to myself):
It isn't always about the destination, sometimes it's about the journey.
We crossed thorough a swamp that we could possibly have found a way around.... we climbed up and down some of the steepest dunes because we wanted to find our campsite by compass bearing instead of the path... we arrived back at the trail head by the looong way around to come from the north side instead of the south side just so we could skip stones on a small inland lake....

My right ankle is now killing me and I'm more sore than I've been since freshman track tryouts so why did we do all that stuff?
We would have missed the quiet inland lake, the biggest snake I've ever seen in the wild, hours of talking and joking as we walked, overcoming some impressive physical challenges, the fun of soaking my legs to the knee in fre
ezing cold swamp water, and so much more if not for the journey.

So here is my d
eep though for the weekend. Isn't life like this too? We get so focused on the destination that we miss the joy in the journey. I do this! I'm so focused on the future that I'm missing the great adventure I'm having right now!
Worse yet we complain about the journey! Why is it so long, so hard, the climb so steep? Why can't we just take the easy path? Why do we have to start so early in the day, carry so much wei
ght?

Father God,
Thank you for this amazing ad
venture you have us on! I'm so sorry when I complain or miss the point. Help us to see with your eyes how it is not always about the destination but about the journey. Please keep making us stronger and more worthy of following you.
Amen



No comments: