Tuesday, June 8, 2010

(Deep sigh of relief)

So the travel visa that I entered the country on expired yesterday.  Well, sort of. I paid for a 3 month visa from the Ugandan embassy before I left the States but turns out that if when you have traveled for 36 hours and are too tired to ask and they scribble some hieroglyphics inside your passport you have to renew in two months instead of three. So anyway, I had to drive to Mbale yesterday. But yesterday the car wouldn't start and the mechanic who knows about the electrical system didn't want to start working until 4pm so I went today instead. And all went well. But it wasn't without some apprehension and just a little dread that I went. This is by far the longest drive I've done yet (thanks Lisa for being willing to go along so that I didn't have to handle this adventure alone!) and also with the worst roads to travel on (worse than going out to the village). Also last time this immigration officer gave the missionaries that I went with a really rough time because they wouldn't pay the bribe. He made them get two different stamps and it took far longer than it needed to. And we ended up just getting up and leaving. So I was fearful that we would have some of the same troubles this time. But I think some zucchini bread saved the day. I had made two loaves at around 6 this morning to give him as a “wedding gift” (last time he asked us for a wedding present even though he was married in January). Anyway, he laughed, asked me what date I needed stamped on it and let us go (still though he would only give me two more months instead of the standard three). But Lisa and I even managed to squeeze in an hour of triathlon training in a resort pool before heading back to Soroti. Thank you Lord for so many blessings!

2 comments:

Kelly Elizabeth said...

sounds like things are going pretty well...you are still in my prayers...and I know you hate to hear this, but I am telling you anyway, Miss ya! :)

Anonymous said...

You do make VERY good zucchini bread. Great idea!!
-Kathy