Thursday, June 24, 2010

Needs to be experienced to be believed

So a boda is a motorcycle that serves at a taxi in Kampala (in Soroti bodas are mostly bicycles).  Yesterday, we needed to get from where we dropped off our car back to the place we are staying. So we took our lives in our hands. Here are just a few of the thoughts that passed through my head while riding (for the sake of keeping it PG I've edited all of the graphic language out ):
Pothole! I wonder if anyone has fallen off one of these? Better yet has anyone died from falling off of one of these? Be realistic Kragt- most likely it won't kill you. Remember all that stuff that was taught in TNCC (trauma nursing).... crap!! Which ED in Kampala is best?! Well, which one is tolerable? The driver has a helmet. But I should have one too... really if there is a fatality in the wreck that we get in it is just more likely to be me. We are in the wrong lane. That's a really big truck... Oh! That was close! My knees hang out really far... This guy does this for a living- you're going to be fine. But he is really young- really all of these boda drivers are young- wonder where the old guys are? Don't think about it. Whoa, that was close! Wait, answering your phone? REALLY?! Can we slow down just a little more for the speed bumps? Hold on! Remember it is inappropriate to hold on to the driver. Screw inappropriate! I'm a mazungo. What part of the city are we in? You are asking me directions?! Where is Beckie! This was her stupid idea....

So we managed just fine and I still have all my extremities as I write this but I was too distracted at the time to take pictures (and honestly I was holding on far too tight to get my camera out) but from the safety of our car I've taken other to try to illistrate this story.
What these pictures just don't show is how crowded these roads are and how the bikes swerve in and out and use the shoulder and pass between big trucks and ignore lights and use the oposite lane and generally all maner of dangerous and mildly illegal things.
Lets just say that I don't plan on doing it again in the near future.

2 comments:

Christina Kragt said...

I have experienced and I do believe! In the darkest nights I still have flashbacks!

Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like a crazy ride!
-Kathy