Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A kitten?!

Sorry all, I seem to be doing a really poor job posting lately. I'd like write about day to day stuff but time seems to just get away from me. I keep thinking that soon I'll get into a routine and life will level out but that doesn't seem to be about to happen. We have several visitors here, girls from Calvin college who are all here varying lengths of time but around a month each. I'm doing things with them each day and Beckie is still in Kampala (for more than a week yet). I'm without my car as Tim took it when he headed to Kampala. Today was a perfect example of how I just get to the end of the day and look back at the day and kind of shake my head.


I was up nearly every 45 minutes in the night with this little bundle of trouble last night. I should possibly have thought it through better before I “adopted” it but while watching it struggle over the bodies of its deceased siblings yesterday I wasn't really into balancing a pro/cons list.
 
Anyway, I finally managed to get us both up, bathed, and fed and met the group over at Amecet. Mid-morning we headed to I-team's resource room (a nice little library with resources for pastors and others to study. There really is nothing else like it here and it is a very needed place as most don't even own their own bibles let alone other resources) We wanted to clean and organize but on the way we received word that one of the ministry partners (and a lady who is becoming a good friend) was in the hospital possibly having a miscarriage in her 8th or 9th month. So back downtown to see her and pray with her. Then back to the resource room after the spending some time at the hospital. Lunch break at 1:30pm but first we needed to get lunch stuff so off to try one of the little shops- “none here- go just there”, “no- across the way”, finally with a little food in hand, lunch. Wrap up in the resource room and home by 3pm. Betty and Dorcus both arrived shortly after they got out of school. A little time with them, dishes that I hadn't done in days, to market quickly for potatoes- my contribution for food for game night. Peeling and cooking 2 kilos of potatoes and off to Rachel's house. Dinner at 7 with Ugandan, Canadan, Congo and American friends who live in the area. Then about an hour of games with them. Now I'm here at my computer. I can't help but wonder what I'm doing here in Uganda. Don't get me wrong- I love life here. But I spent the bulk of my day feeding a kitten milk with a dropper (every 2 hours) and going back and forth from town. What am I supposed to be getting involved in?! I know that I'm just tired and possibly should process some more before I post this.... Tomorrow I'm planning on spending a large portion of my day visiting handicapped kids (others like Lazaro and Abraham) with Steven. But chronically ill and handicapped kids?! I don't feel like this is within my scope of experience at all and I have so little to offer this kids. But this is the opportunity that is open to me now. And I miss nursing so I take what I can get. So... enough processing. The kitten needs to eat again and I should get some sleep while he does. Later.

1 comment:

The VanderKooi Family said...

"Do not be discouraged. Do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you." And we know He is using you, even when it doesn't look like it to you. You have MUCH to offer Abraham and Lazaro and Job, and Sarah, and the others---the attention and love you give them makes the quality of their lives better and who knows the eternal weight of that? Praying for you---and the kitten. :)