Thursday, June 17, 2010

 I hate it when I've gone so long without blogging. I have too much I want to write about....


Gweri- this is big on my mind. On Tuesday I went to Gweri (a sub-county, I think) outside of Soroti. In about 4 hours I visited about 9 homes and 11 physically handicapped kids. They have issues ranging from severe epilepsy to mild cerebral palsy. So I clearly have a job to do now. Including these guys, in the past weeks, I've met about 20 kids that have special needs. I need to hunt for meds for some, bug nets for others. Talk to doctors, design chairs. I need to begin to in earnest educate myself on their different diagnoses and then figure out what it means in this unique setting. I want to come up with ways to encourage the parents of these kids and figure out what resources are available locally. It all seems daunting when I pile it up like this but I'm excited about the challenge. I know that working with these kids is going to be discouraging because even in the states there is very little that we can do. And a few of these families got so excited that I came to visit their homes and I'm afraid that they think I have a way to cure their child. I want to improve their quality of life and for some I'm not even sure I can do that. So, I'm asking for your prayers in this. I know many of you have been praying for discernment and purpose for me and I think God has answered that even though this isn't what I expected at all. Now, I'm asking for wisdom in this job that He has given me.
This was what we pulled up to at one of the houses we stopped at. Three families waiting for us.

The kids- I would like to write that now that school has started back up that many of the kids that were always at my house are here less but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. In the 3 weeks that school has been back on there have been two holidays without school. Another day Betty was here all day because she said that her teachers were all in meetings all day and she didn't have to be there. Around the middle of last week one of the government teachers was killed suddenly and so that day there was no school and the following day ALL of the government schools were closed. Betty has been “home” sick twice (so why was she at my house?!) and Abella and Dorcus have both been “suspended” until they pay their school fees. We have been forced to make the rule that our house is off limits during school hours no matter what, otherwise I feel like they would be find reasons to NEVER go to school. Most evenings they are all here to make banana bread or watch movies or just hang out. Last night after playing football (soccer) in the yard until dark I fed them supper. Sunday afternoon Abella's little brother climbed up our mango tree and harvested all of the ripe, nearly ripe and really not ripe at all fruit from the tree. 
 Opio up the tree to collect mangos.

The group waiting for me to eat.
From right to left around the circle- Betty, Joyce, Martin, Abella, Opio, Calvin, Emmanuel and Ivan
I guess that's what I've been up to for the most part and thats all for now. Until later.

2 comments:

Only your coat said...

Awesome! I am praying!

Jane said...

Next time you come to the states you need to come visit me at work. I would love to show you what can be done for these kids. Feel free to email me with questions. I love the population of kids I work with in the pediatric Neurodevelopment clinic. I would love to come back to Uganda for a few weeks and do rounds with you to see all of the kids and their families.
Jane (Lisa's mom)