Friday, December 17, 2010

Banana Bread

One of the projects that my dad and brothers spent hours on while they were here was designing and making a wood fired oven. This was a big priority for me because the girls have pretty much mastered making banana bread but they are still dependent on me and my oven. I would really like to get it so that they can make bread when they need the money and begin to take ownership over the whole project. Besides I have tried and tried to help them understand the profit/cost part of it and they really still don't get it. So I think I just have to give them the money, have them purchase their own flour, eggs, bananas, etc and let them struggle a little so they start to understand. I hate the thought of losing money and them being unsuccessful but I think they really need to just learn it that way and in the long run they will be more successful because they will know what I'm trying to teach first hand.  
 


But back to the oven. It was successful! I have a lovely outdoor oven in my front yard now. The girls made 6 batches of banana bread and we only burned two loaves of the 8 or so that were made. They are better at keeping the fire at an even heat than me. They sell everything they make easily, the market is clearly there, and people really like what they make. I have high hopes for the future of this project but I kind of need your help. The oven that we made to experiment with and learn from is in my yard so doesn't solve the independence problem. I would really like to build two more at the girl's homes. Betty and Abella live near each other and work well together so I'm sure one oven at Abella's home will work well. Dorcus lives on the other side of town and also has shown a lot of interest and clearly has the need. I'm sure that the income that Dorcus generates will feed her grandmother and several siblings so I'd also like to build an oven there. Between the cement, bricks, welded box that goes inside and and other odds and ends like hinges one oven cost around $50.00. Add to that I'll need to purchase pans, a few other necessary items that the girls don't have from Kampala, the principle for several batches to help them get started and it is a little costly to help them get this project off the ground. Are you willing to help? I know this a time of the year when many places are asking for your money but Betty, Abella and Dorcus don't need much and I know that this will make a difference in their lives. I still have some things to figure out, like where they can keep their supplies so that they won't be stolen. And I also have to remember that these girls are only kids. But all three need money for school and this is better than a hand out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work on the oven Kragt Family!!! So glad that you had a good time with your family. You are so loved by them, it is so good to see. Even if your African friends might not understand God entirely, any one can understand love and what it means to support one another. It's just another piece to the big puzzle. Thanks for sharing these snippets of your life on this blog.