Thursday, August 7, 2014

Five Star Hotel

I've slept in four different places in the last few days and I'm sitting here tonight realizing that the features that for me make a "perfect" hotel have changed A LOT in the past few years. I've decided I don't really "need" anything anymore as I can now fairly contentedly sleep in the back of my truck wherever I am. However, I have a few things that I really like. My five stars are as follows:
1. No smell in the room. Musty or dusty are very common. Even occasionally smelling like animals.
2. Hot water in the shower. Seems like few places I stay are guaranteed to have hot water.
3. Tolerable pillows. Ugandan pillows are terrible. Tolerable means something between 1 inch and 6 inches thick and a least a little soft. Seems most places here like one inch or nine inches and so hard I'd rather use a towel.
4. Bathroom with a western toilet (instead of squat toilet). See photo. Even better if the toilet doesn't get wet when the shower is on. Seems with most bathrooms with a squat the drain for the toilet is the same as the drain for the shower.
5. Bed with springs. I've only had this three times in four years.
If a room has all five of these, five stars in my book! I can do without but if I'm treating myself these are now the things I look for.
Last night's toilet

No comments: