Monday, August 4, 2014

Pearl of Africa

Need to apologize for not blogging much right now but I'm traveling and that always makes updates trickier. I needed to go to Kampala for some maintenance on the truck and then I headed down to western Uganda for just a few days. I'm enjoying the time away. I'm sleeping under a blanket at night and I love it!! I know that seems silly but it is really nice feeling a bit cold. It is 55 degrees right now compared with the roughly 70 it is in Soroti at night. Refreshing change. Crossed the equator today, I guess that means that I'm in the northern hemisphere so it is winter here now.
Uganda is called the pearl of Africa and there is no denying that it is a beautiful country. I love seeing new places in Uganda but I really don't like the actual travel that it takes to get to these beautiful places. It took us nearly 8 hours to travel from Kampala to Bwindi even though I think it is only a few hundred km. I read a quote the other day that seemed to fit well. "The road was so cracked and pitted the vehicle seemed to have square wheels." (-Theodore Dalrymple)  Very applicable on this trip.


But I'm here now and it is beautiful and I had a wonderful day visiting people and hiking around so I'm not complaining any more than that. 



No comments: