Tuesday, August 12, 2014

....treating autoimmune diseases by deliberately infesting patients with parasitic worms, such as whipworm and hookworm....

Here is a deep, stimulating topic tonight, though not quite like the last post I put up....
I was doing some reading this afternoon and did you know there are "drug" trials going on using parasites on people with diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Colitis, Multiple Sclerosis, Hay Fever, etc...  (Autoimmune Disorders)?!?  I guess the thinking is that instead of having the body attack itself, give it a parasite to keep it busy. (That would be the extremely simplified, non medical version.) But these studies are pretty conclusively showing that it is working. It is called Helminthic therapy if you want slightly more precise and scientific explanations than the one I gave.
I guess I find that so fascinating because I live in a place where 75% of the population is infected with one type of parasite or another. And I never see any autoimmune diseases. Who would have thought it? Pin worms are good for you. (By the way, don't google pin worms, you will regret it. And you will notice this post with conspicuously without a picture. You are welcome.)
I wonder if I can get CEUs for this afternoons reading.....


No comments: