Wednesday, January 26, 2011

6 chronically ill, mentally and physically handicapped kids

Let’s see….I want to write about today before it becomes tomorrow and I become busy but I don’t even know how to put today into words. I could just tell the day like a narrative like I usually do but that wouldn’t touch the peace and supernatural direction that I felt. I know there were many praying and I want you to know God was present and amazing.  That being said there were many sick kids today . Word had spread that I was coming…
Here is just a glimpse:
  • 3 month old girl, some congenital birth defect that I can’t put my finger on. She has low set ears and close eyes. Her legs won’t straighten and her cry isn’t normal. But both her mother and her father were there (which is very unusual for this culture) and treated her with open affection.
  • 11 month old girl, a congenital heart condition. She is on digoxin and furosemide and has been for the past 8 months.  I have no idea how she got the diagnosis but it is in her health record and her dad had a chest x-ray (the only radiology study she has ever had) with a grossly enlarged heart. They have been told that the only thing that can help them are hospitals in either S. Africa or Egypt. She needs a heart transplant.
  • 5 year old (super cute!) little boy with obvious autism.  He wouldn’t look at me and flapped his hands the whole time. His father says he can feed himself but that is all. He defecates on himself and won’t try to speak. He is the 4th born and his older siblings help with his care.
  • Another boy with autism. This one was about 3years old and trying so hard to walk. He played with his little sister and yelled at his mother.
  • Then there are the ones I regularly visit. Job is unresponsive and his mother reports he is having frequent seizures. I explained my concern about his blocked shunt and how there is nothing we can do. 
  • And Lazaro. Who just lays and stares at me. Even in the states we could do practically nothing for his osteogenesis imperfecta.

I think God was showing me again that I don’t have anything to offer. Could He have chosen 6 kids with illnesses that I can do less about?
All of these were gathered in a small patch of shade, having walked or put their handicapped child on the back of a bike in the 90+ degree heat. I sat looking at their faces. Why did they come? I want to offer hope of a cure. But I can’t. However, I can offer hope of healing. But not in the physical sense. It came to me gently and the words just came out. I asked my translator to make them understand what I was trying to say. I began to talk and they all listened. I have the hope of Christ to offer. (Acts 3:6) They listened better than any other time I’ve talked and it came out easier than any other time I’ve shared. T
hey still asked me for money and food and medicine and this time I really didn’t give much of that. But tonight as I write I’m content and at peace with the day. I think I did what God wanted me to do.

I’ve gone back and read this again and thought through the day one more time and I'm sorry. It still doesn’t really touch on how today felt different in the village. I just don’t even really know how to share…. 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Sounds like God had this planned all along and He just needed you to follow His lead. And you did and that's why you felt at peace with it :) I'm sure those you visited really needed to hear what you said today. Thanks for letting God speak through you, and for being so transparent about it all in your blog! The more transparent you are the more I seem to see God working! :)