Friday, January 28, 2011

A week full of HIV

Over the past few weeks I’ve been writing some curriculum to teach about HIV and AIDS, with topics like stigma, prevention, living with HIV, caring and compassion, end of life care and leadership from the church in the community. I’ve enjoyed working through this and making it understandable and culturally relevant.  Next week I’ll spend my days teaching it with the goal of increasing awareness and knowledge to promote compassion and the love of God.  I’ve seen things here in the last few months that have increased my urgency to get this material into hands of Christians. Most AIDS teaching comes from the government and is considered “secular” so the church throws all of it out instead of taking the good from it. So, even the most basic things, like how HIV is transmitted and treated is not well known.  Also, even with Christians, those with HIV are shunned, neglected, abandoned, then left to die.  Yesterday, I went with Josh to one of the locations he teaches at. He was teaching about marriage and family but it will be similar to how I’ll teach so it was good to listen and learn. He does a really good job making the material inductive and keeping his listeners involved. I hope to do half as well next week. Will you pray for our time?  I really want the week to be something that helps people and is relevant but most importantly communicates God’s love and biblical truth.
Josh and translator
Worship before beginning. 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm so excited that you're going to be teaching this week! You will really transform some people's ideas about HIV and that is awesome! I'm sure you'll do great. You are very good at explaining medical things to non medical people (like me!). My prayers are with you!