Saturday, September 3, 2011

Behold the power of the written word

Growing up in a society where practically everyone is literate and every thing we do involves reading or writing I had no idea how much I'd taken written materials for granted. 3 instances over the past couple of weeks have driven home for me just how powerful the written word is.
At the workshop on the narrative of the bible we were  not allowed to write or read. Yikes! I had no idea how hard that would be. Memorizing and trying to quickly learn as I'm taught orally.  I will approach how teach the VHTs (only two are functionally literate) with a different structure and more importantly a different attitude in the coming weeks.
Abella was sitting in our house reading quietly the other day. It was a chapter book that she was so excited about! Her school doesn't have text books for every student (often not even for the teacher) and the concept of reading just for enjoyment is very foreign. I'd like to think Abella learned to read for fun from me and Beckie's example and I'm really glad she is enjoying it.  I love to read and couldn't imagine my life without that hobby. Now comes the challenge of finding reading material to keep up with her....
A little bit ago I gave away my copy of the book Where Their Is No Doctor" to the VHTs. They poured over that thing for almost an hour. Without my prompting they used it several times when they didn't know the answers to my questions.  It is written fairly simply and a few of them can use the majority of the book. I know they will have questions and won't understand some it it (for example reading charts and graphs, anatomical names and most diagnoses) but I can't wait to go back up there and address their questions. I feel like a book really opened some doors for them.


No comments: