Tuesday, May 25, 2010

chairs

So this is a little  a lot delayed but our trip out to see Lazaro, Abraham and Job last week was a really good one. The chairs we brought them fit well (once we added a little extra padding) and I really feel like will improve their quality of life. I went back again the following day because I was concerned that Lazaro's family would stick him in the chair and just leave him for hours. He is just not strong enough for that.  He works so hard to breath when sitting up and his neck muscles are so weak he can't even hold up his own head. But he did really well in the chair for about 20 minutes. The following day when I went back I put him in the chair for 20 minutes again and then took him out and tried some passive range of motion then back in the chair for 20 more minutes.  He didn't really like it but it didn't seem to cause too much pain and I really think over time it will make a difference. Pastor Steven and I talked to his father and an older brother about doing it twice a day but I'm not sure they will. You can tell that no one ever interacts with Lazaro. He doesn't reach for anything, he won't look to either side, he never smiles, he won't bring anything to his mouth (I brought a whole package of cookies just to tempt him- his siblings enjoyed them though). Honestly this is so discouraging for me. I just don't know how to help this little guy. It really isn't a solution to take him from his home and bring him into mine but that is the kind of time that he needs.  And his little brother... his head is more swollen all the time. He'll never be able to hold his head without significant neck support. On a more positive note Job (and his mother) seem to love the chair. He smiled more than I've ever seen and laughed and laughed. His mother expressed excitement that he doesn't have to just lay on the ground all the time now. I think Steven was encouraged too but I'm also afraid that he told Job's mother that with help Job will walk....
 Abraham on the left at 9 months and Lazaro on the right at two years old. (See 4/14 and 4/16)
Pictures of Lazaro and Job in their chairs coming shortly.

2 comments:

The VanderKooi Family said...

How exciting that Job and his mom are doing so well! I'm so glad they not only got the chairs, but that you're able to spend time with them and to give them some guidance. We'll be praying that Lazaro' and Abram's family will take the time to give them the care they need. Keep up the good work, Jennifer!

chiperific said...

Wow, this is a very difficult story! Stick with these kids and their family. Help them to value the lives of these kids!