Monday, May 3, 2010

learning

Another day of interesting experiences…. We met a man a few weeks ago who is a tailor. To give him a little business Beckie and I went to each have a skirt made. His “shop” is in the midst of the market, right across from the butchers as a matter of fact so the smell of bloody beef kind of permeates the air. After we described what we wanted we walked with him to the other side of the market to purchase the fabric. Then back to his place to discuss/barter price. $2.50 later we will pick up our skirts later this week. While in the market we shopped for enough food for guests coming over for Tuesday-game-night. But this sounds easier than it actually was. First we needed nice big potatoes, so we tried three vendors before I got what I wanted. Then on to the chickens. I wanted “fresh” which translates to “live”. What do you look for when picking a still squawking chicken? And we had to get two to have enough meat to feed everyone- chickens here are scrawny- so the feet were tied together and tossed over the handlebars of my bike. And a pineapple for dessert. But not too ripe as it has to last until tomorrow. Now, to figure out what has to be done to get those chickens into the pot…
*This post has some great pictures that I really want to attach. But no luck. So picture me with a pineapple in a basket on the front of my bike and two live chickens tied to the handbars, me in a skirt, trying to ride. Pretty funny stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm guessing you've had experience plucking chickens? So you had to kill them too? How long did it take to prepare that chicken? I bet it tasted good!
-Kathy

Dusty/333 said...

OHWord... I would absolutely die!!! Why did they have to be alive and upside down while you rode home???? OMWord!!!!! How did you kill them?