Saturday, August 13, 2011

Family Planning- Take 2


I traveled last week with Charles and Martin (a couple of pastors we have worked with in the past) out to Serere (Pingire) to teach on family planning again. Overall, there were few hitches. Lunch at 4pm was a little lame and right off the bat Charles promised them that I would answer all of their questions, even the hard ones (I can’t make this stuff up! I hate answering questions because I have to keep a straight face and some of them I don’t even know where to begin and a few seem so far in left field and I’m pretty sure that Josh told Charles to say that before he left) but overall it went really well.
Charles and Martin were cracking me up. Martin put on the “pregnant backpack” between every person and he made every guy there wear it and then carry a full jerry can of water, sweep, pick weeds, wash clothes, gather and carry firewood, etc… One guy tried to refuse and Martin asked him if he had a wife. “Has she been afflicted with pregnancy? You put this on then and think about her!” He lectured them on loving their wives and to not mistreat them when they are pregnant. He even made several of the secondary school (high school) girls put it on for a few minutes. The women were rolling on the floor laughing.
My part was much improved because I had a better idea of what women needed to learn about and how to communicate it in an easier to understand way and was more educated about NFP.
We talked about what abortion is and how family planning is not abortion. We spent quite a bit of time in prayer and confession for those that had taken part in abortion. Then we talked about what the bible says about planning our families.  There were pastors from 4 other area churches and all were very interested. We were speaking to at least 11 married men, 2 single guys, 13 married women and 20 or more teenaged girls. All were very engaged with the topics discussed.  It was pretty late by the time I reached back to Soroti but it felt like a day well spent. 

No comments: