Monday, August 1, 2011

Water

While we were in Karamoja water issues were a big part of our daily struggles. We constantly heard from the people how the bore hole didn’t supply enough for them so how they had to go into the mountains to springs that were often fouled up by baboons or other animals.  We ourselves often wondered if we would be able to transport enough for the day. We spent lots of time filtering to make it clean enough to drink. We occasionally went without washing up because there was only enough left for cooking and drinking. Then there were the challenges of water in the form of rain. We were all staying in old tents that were far from rain proof. Constantly there were sleeping bags and sleeping mats piled outside waiting for the sun to come out and dry them.  The rain made the roads tricky and travel interesting.  So with thoughts of water still in the back of my mind I was asked to preach this Sunday here in Soroti. I  often decline but God brought some verses to mind  and it all suddenly came together in my head during worship.

Jeremiah 2:13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."

The K-jongs are often forced to choose between dirty water and no water. But this past trip we brought living water! And we offered it free. And still some chose to get it from their dirty cisterns. They would rather have witchcraft and alcoholism and anger and fear because that is the way it has always been.  And the same is true of us. We choose dirty water over what God is offering. We look to things like entertainment or money or relationships or possessions to satisfy our thirst. But Jesus is saying don’t drink that crap! I’m offering LIVING WATER!
I’m feeling challenged to evaluate what I’m consuming to satisfy my thirst. Am I forsaking the things of God and trying to build my own cistern? Are you?

No comments: