Monday, October 4, 2010

Advocating

So I learn more and more about the “medical system” here and the ins and outs of advocating for someone. (And the absolute necessity of having an advocate!). In the past week Abella has been complaining (that's not true- Abella never complains, she simply mentioned) that she has been feeling sick. I've checked her temp a couple of times and had given tylenol but hadn't thought too much about it. Yesterday morning she didn't show up to go to church with us so after we got home we packed up some orange juice and some motrin and headed over to her house. There we learned that she was at the hospital. Yikes!
So Beckie on one bike, Betty and I on another and Abella's sister on a third we headed to the hospital. On my way over I was running scenario after scenario and trying to figure out, not so much if, but how I should get involved. Her sister seemed to think she was under treatment for malaria. Which in the hospital means a quinine drip. I was confidant (99% sure) that she didn't have malaria so should I demand that they stop the treatment? Should I test her myself first? (Malaria test in a lab here seem to be positive FAR more often than can even be possible). And if it was negative then what? Maybe I should keep my mouth shut and just give money. That is what is expected of me. But I didn't think with a clean conscience I could do that. Besides, I didn't want the money I gave going to treatment that I thought was completely unnecessary and most likely harmful! Did I need to get labs done? Where is trustworthy? Can I find good pediatrician? I still have not managed to locate one of those in Soroti...
Anyway, we arrived at the hospital and managed to find her, she was sitting on the ground outside of a ward. She was there to be with her mother who is the primary care taker of her grandmother. She was feeling better and not under treatment at all. This turned into an excellent example of how rumors and false truths spread around here. But that isn't what this post is about. It is about how I spent weeks fighting for “quality” medical care for a teammate. And here was one the the young girls I care a lot about also needing quality medical care and I have no idea how to get it for her. How far do I go to help for Ugandans? They deserve the same fight that I was willing to give for Tim. But their resources are so much more limited. But mine are not. What is the best way to help?
So, I'm really glad that Abella was not so sick. And I'm really not looking forward to the day that I actually have to answer these questions.

No comments: