Thursday, October 14, 2010

I feel like a nurse again!

I've been really busy so sorry about the lack of posting. For the past several days I've had one of our short termers staying with me because he has a pretty bad case of malaria. Then on Tuesday I added another patient. David is a former child soldier who has had a very traumatic past (He has been stabbed, shot and nearly beaten to death when with the rebels). He has been sick and Monday night he called to say he was having pain that was uncontrollable (I'm thinking peptic ulcer). Tuesday morning we got a call from one of his friends saying that he had passed out and was writhing in pain. So a quick trip out to the village to pick him up. I brought him to the doctor who saw him last week but the doctor wasn't there. (No doctors in the clinic that day.) Back to my house. Pain control, IV hydration, I think that is about all he would have gotten at Dr. Engulu's place. Yesterday was day 5 of Josh's malaria with practically no improvement. We had changed meds but he was having persistent vomiting. He was quite dehydrated and then was urinating blood. Between these two it was enough to keep me busy. After a long night Monday night trying to keep Josh comfortable and slightly hydrated without success Tuesday morning the decision was made to bring him to Kampala for lab work and make sure we were moving in the right direction. So a 5 hour drive and 2 liters of IV fluid later we were back in Kampala. Dejavu! The good news is after a few hours of waiting to see a doctor and checking urine and blood work we got a good report. He was still a little dry and a little jaundice but the doctor was confidant that we could get on top of it. So this morning we're sitting in a guest house in Kampala. Josh hasn't been up yet so I'm not really sure how he is doing but I managed to give another liter of fluid in the night without waking him so I have high hopes for today.

One quick prayer request- I love being a nurse but there is something nice about giving report at the end of the shift and not thinking for a while. And it is easier to be the "bad guy" when someone nice will replace you in a few hours. A little harder to be the constant nurse for days at a time. Sorry Josh!
Once again I promise to post soon. I have a number of things that have been running around my head but I've been just a little too occupied to get it on paper. Sorry!!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm glad to hear you are able to use your nursing skills! Not so excited that it is an around the clock job for you :( Although I think Josh and David are in GREAT hands! I'm sure you have been doing all you can and putting the rest in God's hands. I hope your patients have been getting better and that you have been able to get a little more sleep in. Praying for you all! And missing you a little too.
Kathy