Friday, October 8, 2010

The Karamojong are coming!

When I was 9 years old, growing up in rural Kenya I still remember two separate nights that my parents woke my brothers and I up and had us grab our already packed bags.  We had to find our jeans quickly and get our shoes on. (I never got to wear jeans and shoes! Skirts and sandals mostly.) We were hushed and herded out of the house. The night guard was waiting to lead us into the dark, into the bush, away from our home. We hiked single file, as quietly as possible for what felt like a long time. The dark night made it seem longer so it really probably wasn't that far. Finally we slid down a bank into a sandy,dry river bed. Blankets were spread out and we laid down.
We lived with the Pokot people and occasionally the neighboring Karamojong tribe would come to raid them. We were possibly a target so as precaution we always had a small bag packed. By morning, both times we returned home, without problem and had a soda for breakfast. As a kid I don't remember being overly frightened. This was just something we had to do sometimes. Looking back on it as an adult I'm impressed how well my parents did to not convey what they must have been feeling.

But now, I've gone back and spent some time with the Karamojong. I continue to think and pray about living and working in Karamoja in the future I want to ask for your prayers also. There are many hurdles but the need is great. These people have not changed so much in the last 20 or even 100 years. They have a reputation for being brutal, uncivilized and violent. Years of issues have worked to create a dependancy culture and a sense of entitlement. But they are a tough, beautiful people who have been through so much. They are traped in true spiritual bondage that effects every aspect of life. I don't have much to offer them. But I have dedicated my life to serving a God that does have much to offer them. So I'll go.

1 comment:

chiperific said...

Funny, I only remember doing this once, not twice. Maybe the parents left me behind the second time...

Though it may not be as strong a connection as some script writer could make it, I like the idea of you living with the people who chased you into a ditch when you were 9.