Monday, October 25, 2010

Always an adventure around here....

I'm getting my fill of adventure lately. I've been taking public transportation for the last week in and around Jinga. Here that doesn't exactly mean what it means in developed countries. It means that when the boda driver dumped us both off of the motorcycle and pinned us beneath it I still pay the same price and I'm covered in mud.. It means I pack much lighter than usual because the bus is possibly packed over capacity.


I finally got reconnected with my car yesterday but Beckie wasn't feeling well so I had my first opportunity to drive in Kampala. (Does anyone have any valium that they would like to donate for the next time that needs to happen?) We didn't have our sleeping accommodations arranged and it isn't like you just find a nice Holiday Inn. But we managed to find a safe place (though they charged us WAY too much!) So today we are back without a car as it needs a few days with the mechanic to make up for the rough time that Beckie and I have put it through. We are back on public transport in this crazy city (Kampala) and I'm only bleeding a little from the half hour this morning on the boda. We met a nice lady and we are staying with her family tonight. (When does that happen in the states?!) Then tomorrow night we are pitching Beckie's tent in a “camp-ground” that hasn't seen tents in about seven years. Always an adventure around here....

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Be safe! Praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

Yes! please be safe lady! Oh man, your comment on valium made me laugh and understand how the drivers in my country deal. When you visit you can take some of the stuff they use here LOL =D
Peace.

Dusty/333 said...

That scares me? Pitching a tent in a far off distant land where you know no one and perhaps "nothing" about even what part of town your in??? Yikes!