Sunday, March 16, 2008

Some things I know that I won't miss....

As I prepare to leave these are some of I things that I know that I won't miss...
*They get the kids up every morning between 5 and 5:30. Living as near as I do to the girls dorm once they are up, I'm up. My "alarm" is a piece of a drive shaft hitting an old rim of a 16 wheeler about 15 times. More if the young man is feeling particularly fine that morning. Needless to say this setup does not come with a snooze feature.
*The heat and dust. The dust is thick on every surface and it is nearly as oppressive as the temperature. At least the weather is consistent. It will be the same every day for the next three months.
*Understanding about 10% of what is going on around me and only about 2% of the conversation. But I'm learning French far faster than I thought I would. (Most days Rasmata is the only other person who speaks English in a minimum of 5K radius from the village.) Volia!
*Doing laundry by hand about every 4th day. Oddly enough my socks are only lasting about 3 hours after I put them on before they stink so bad it is painful. I understand now why all the kids go barefoot.
*Lack of seatbelts, or maybe it is the lack of paved roads, of the crowds of pedestrians and bikes I could do without. Lines on the road would help, but that would necessitate traffic laws and crazy things like driver's licenses and driving classes. Then we wouldn't have all of the exciting passing options that are currently experimented with.

No comments: