Monday, November 15, 2010

Lazaro

11/9/10 4pm *I just realized that this one never got posted- I think I was still processing...
We took Don and Marybeth and other visitors to see Lazaro today. I've written about him and his family several times but haven't seen him in far too long. Today we arrived at his place and heard him crying in the hut but no one around over the age of 9. Lazaro is really skinny again, his little misshapen ribs stick out. He has infected sores on his legs and no wonder  because his little pants are soaking wet with his urine.  Thankfully he had no fever this time but he is clearly neglectected.  His mother was not around and hadn't been around since sunday. So he hasn't had a bath and possibly hadn't eaten. The other kids around hadn't eaten either. And there were about 15 kids just hanging around.  I brough with us posho and beans and it was all consumed without any difficulty. I just don't even know what to do. My first though when I heard that his mother was gone was to take him home with me tonight to provide that care that he needs. But we leave first thing tomorrow morning so it just isn't even a possibility.

Marybeth (Beckie's mom) feeding Lazaro posho and beans after the bath we gave.

Many other hungry kids were happy to share our posho and beans.

No comments: