Monday, November 15, 2010

Out to Katine

In about 30 minutes I'm headed out to Katine (the village) to see Lazaro again. He was so neglected last time it made me ill. I'm bringing more food, shoes, soap and am going to try to encourage his mother again (if she is there. Last time she had been away for two days- hence the neglect I'm sure.) It hit me how much I dread going there. I feel like I NEED to do something but there is so little I can do. He seems worse every time. And so painful and neglected. But I'm going this time to try to start him on formula. He is two years old so it seems silly but I think because he eats so slowly no one is takes the time to feed him well. And the family is too poor to have fresh milk. If I bring it to them it spoils so quickly. So I'm going to try formula. I don't have much left but the kid needs some kind of nutrition. This seems like a good safe source.
(Side note- for all of you who donated formula before I left THANK YOU!!! It was so good to be able to give it way. If you want to start gathering more for me that would be wonderful and I promise to figure out how to get it here and give it to those that need it most.)
I'll post again in a few hours to process I'm sure...

8:50pm Well, a little better than a week ago. Lazero was not alone, he was outside, had a bath and was being fed when we arrived. But still his mother was no where around. She had got the message that we found him neglected though and asked his older sister to stay home from school to take care of him. Sarah  also has Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Her legs have never been able to bear her weight and the bones of her arms are so deformed they are hardly functional. But she is very tough. She has learned to pull herself up onto the bottom of her wheelchair in order to get around. She is smart and tries hard in school. But then I hear that she has been taken out of school to care for her brother. I'm happy that he is more taken care of but I don't want her to miss school. I think she would do really well in the school for the physically handicapped. But I'm afraid of her leaving her home as she is Lazaro's primary caregiver. But she really deserves a chance. And maybe it is completly unrealistic to think that in any way keeping Lazaro in his home is best for him. So, what should I do?

No comments: