Friday, July 1, 2011

Of one hundred men, one will read the Bible; the nine-nine will read the Christian.

“Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.” I Cor 11:1
A pretty direct command from the Apostle Paul. 
It’s easy to think “That’s great. He was one of the greatest missionaries to walk this planet. He could tell people to follow his example. His was a good example to follow as his life was above reproach”. But can you say it about yourself? Could you tell a young believer- “follow me as I follow Christ”? These are pretty bold words. But as followers of Christ we should be able to.  
Mostly I’m posing these questions to you because I’m posing them to myself. I’m called to live as Christ. My decisions, my words, my actions should all point to my Lord and Savior. So shouldn't I be able to point to my own life as a way to follow because it should all be pointing to Jesus?   I don’t think asking this is being self-righteous or being too confident in myself. Because I know I don’t have it all together. But I’m called to be confident in what God is doing in my life. Maybe it is sanctimonious. But I think that used to mean holy or sacred before it meant hypocritical.  
Is your life worthy of imitation?
Dwight Moody is quoted as saying “Of one hundred men, one will read the Bible; the nine-nine will read the Christian.”   

No comments: