Monday, March 28, 2011

Lake Vic Tri

The competitors were all supposed to arrive at 6 am for sign in/ registration. So knowing better and in good Ugandan fashion Jillian and I set our alarms for 6am and arrived at the venue around 6:30. There were a few other athletes milling around but clearly no one registering.  This is a bit of what we saw. 

This was the venue so the chaos didn’t surprise us at all. 
No, all joking aside, there had been a bad storm in the night and the tents blown were all over the lawn of the very nice hotel. They were working hard to get it all put back together. The race was supposed to go off at 7 and even under the best conditions, this is still Africa and that wasn’t going to happen. The first competitors hit the pool around 8:00. The race used to take place in Lake Victoria (hence the name) but due to schistosomiasis it now takes place in chlorinated water. Jillian and I were in the third heat so after a lot of waiting we finally took the pool. There were 5 people in our lane which was about 4 too many. So being exceptionally motivated to get the heck out of the pool I swam harder than I’ve ever swam before. 
That is me there in the yellow swim cap
Out of the pool in record time and headed for the transition zone. I’m so embarrassed to admit it but somehow between Soroti and Entebbe I lost my running shoes, however sandals go on quick. Helmet and singlet on and out of the exchange zone while others were still struggling with socks and wet feet. As I hit the bike course I found myself right in the pack of fast men who had started with the earlier group of the Olympic distance and had finished their first lap and just beginning their second. Using their momentum I swung in behind them and figured I’d just hold on for a little while. But one by one they dropped back and I didn’t feel like I needed to down shift quite yet. Before I got half way I found myself alone on hills (parts were REALLY a mountain bike course!) behind the airport.

52 minutes minus exchange zone for a 20 K ride
works out to roughly fifteen 3 minute miles!
Having no idea what kind of pace I was holding (Uganda killed my watch months ago and there were no mile markers or aid stations) I just kept pushing. My legs were burning and I was really ready to let up but I figured I’d just push a little bit more then allow myself to recover in the second transition and the first kilometer of the run.  Finally, I was back within sight of the transition zone. I heard my number called out then “first female”.  Huh?!? I had no idea! Come to find out I’d been one of the first three females to leave the
I was covered in mud by the end of the ride.
 pool and we all got out within seconds of each other.  I’d been out of transition before any of the rest. I just figured there were others ahead of me who’d gotten out of the water and on to the bike before me. Crap! So that shot down my idea of recovering in transition. I tossed the helmet and was back onto the course before the wheels of my bike were done spinning.  Then the mental games began. What if I misunderstood? Do I really want to push this hard? How far back is second place?  The legs are already toast after the fast swim then the hills on the bike, can I really even hold a pace?!  But why not give it a try. So I buckled down and figured I’d see what I could manage. Running is the part I’m most prepared for anyway right?!? Well, I passed a couple of Olympic distance men (kind of fun to blow past those guys if you don’t think about the fact that they are running twice the distance you are) and I think I was holding about a 7 minute mile pace. I would have liked to pick it up but the wear of the sandals and a little buildup of lactic acid in the calves was holding me back. Then was passed by one little Kenyan guy who looked like he was taking a walk in the park and I decided I had to let up a little. I’m guessing mile two was around 9 minutes. The last couple of kilometers were a little better and that’s it. Three guys finished ahead of me so fourth overall and first female. Crazy! One hour, twenty eight minutes.
Wow, I'm going to hurt for the next few days.

 * I huge thanks to Jillian's awesome friends for taking these great pictures and being the best cheering section I've ever had! Stijn, Jessica and Iliara- you guys rock!!


6 comments:

judy buskard said...

Congratulations Jen !!!!!!!!!!

Heidi said...

wow, that's amazing! next time I'm gonna join ya :-P (well... from a lot farther back - hehe :-P)

Life 102 said...

Well done Kragt!! What was the purse you took home?! (c: thanks for the photos, can't wait for the tri season to commence here in the states.
jenn

Tim & Angie Sliedrecht said...

Awesome! Way to go Jennifer! We wish we were there to cheer you on! Did you get a sweet trophy or prize?

shirley said...

Wow! Jen what determination and stamina you have. You are amazing. Great job.

Kathleen said...

That is very impressive, especially because you did it in sandals! I wish I could have been in your cheering section :) What amazing discipline and perseverance you have!