Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mombasa in March

Well, this is another one of those adventures that I could spend days writing about but as I'm planning on leaving for Karamoja tomorrow you don't have worry about reading all of that. Mostly I think I'm going to use pictures to describe our adventures.  Worth a thousand words right?
We drank out of coconuts quite a bit...
Dr. Val and Heidi. Notice their straws are sticks.
All of that quality time together in the sun produced some pretty funny evenings.
Treating sunburn with freshly picked aloe leaves.

Meals were varied and plenty interesting.
Juice in a little produce shop in Mtwapa.
Fish, octopus, chicken, vegetables and bananas cooked in the fire and served on a palm frond table.
The cooks of that meal.
Our days were spent wandering on the beach seeing what kind of trouble we could find.

There were of course other things we did during the day-  like befriending the beach combers, hunting/gathering food, sitting by the pool and learning Swahili. 
I wonder if this can be eaten?
Overall, I think we all had a great time. I really didn't want to say goodbye to Heidi but it was time for her to head back to the states.  Heidi- I'm going to miss you!!!
I head back up to Karamoja with Dr Val tomorrow.  So the blog may be quiet again for a bit....
(* if you really want a play by play of our trip Danielle did a better job than I did. Her blog post is here- http://doctoryellie.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-which-i-finally-see-heidi-and-taste.html)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

hey... catching up on the blog! love hearing your thoughts on it all :-) I miss you a LOT! it was so fun hanging out with you and seeing all God is doing through you. He's pretty awesome... keep listening to Him :-)