Sunday, September 5, 2010

Need a quick consult...

O.K.- I need to ask the advice of you medical people that read my blog. Two weeks ago I developed some blisters from walking. Slowly they have become kind of nasty infected sores. I started myself on erythromycin (250 mg q6 hrs) a week ago as they were red, hot and draining. So... five days later the one on the top of my foot is an open, continually draining ulcer with cellulitis from my toes to the base of my ankle. I'm asking for advice now because the joint is so stiff I can hardly walk and the pain is really starting to get to me. The other two sores are looking much better, still can't wear any straps but the drainage has stopped and the swelling is nearly gone. I could post pictures but just reading the description seems gross enough. I'm open to any suggestions as the erythromycin doesn't seem to be cutting it....
(Just for fun the differential diagnosis seems to include amebic skin ulcers, cutaneous anthrax, diphtheria, buruli ulcer, myiasis, and leishmaniasis. But I managed to rule all of these out because the centers are not black, I don't have maggots in the wounds, don't have a fever anymore, they are strictly on my feet, I only really have one that is bad and it isn't spreading to new parts of the body which leaves me with only your standard, run of the mill, tropical ulcer. )

No comments: