Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The list of things that has frustrated us since arriving again here at International Hospital just keeps growing. As I sit here in Tim's hospital room writing his abx are more than an hour late. When I asked about them she said the pharmacy is all out. Umm... so we drive out and get our own?! We were here more than 4 hours before his vitals were checked. This is a patient with a working diagnosis of septicemia!! The nurse gave meds IV push instead of piggyback. The doctor told us around 5pm when I pushed him as to why there have been no cultures done that he couldn't order them anymore tonight because the tech would be mad and not do them correctly- what?! When I asked about


11pm I can't get on the internet right now and that is probably a good thing right now anyway.  Angie went to the guest house to try to get some sleep. I stayed here at the hospital with Tim because we have only one treatment thing going on and they are getting it wrong. They seem completely unable to give these meds. The only thing they are doing for Tim here is the abx regimen and they are being given late (3 hours?! When I've asked for them 3 times already?!) or wrong. 1 gm amipclox IV push over 20 seconds is nothing like IV piggyback over 30 minutes ladies!  Thrombophlebitis 6 hours later- anyone suprised?!
The night physician came in to meet and we asked about RFT and electrolytes. (both drawn at 2pm) no electrolytes yet (lets face it they aren't coming) and the high BUN with a creat of .8 says to me we need to stop ignoring the hypotension. However, when questioned the dr didn't know the normal values and didn't want to do anything about them anyway. Thats fine. Thats why God gives us two kidneys.

When the surgon walked in early evening I asked him what he thought of the white count, and other CBC results and he in essence said the lab was usually wrong so he wasn't going to do anything about them. Ummmm...what?! I pushed him to do a needle aspiration of the joint (s) for culture but he pretty much said it wouldn't change our plan of care. It wouldn't?! How about a repeat ultrasound to see how much fluid is on the elbow or an initial one of the knee to assess the pain. Not necessary. Really?!

Father God- this all seems so surreal. What am I supposed to be thinking? Feeling? Praying? We are headed to Kenya in the morning. I should go? I want to just be still in your presence tonight. Help me quiet my thoughts. What do you need to say to me? My God will meet all of your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. I pray for Tim tonight. I'd be a nut job by now. Draw him close to yourself. Remind him of your presence. We all need you to be our strength.

Currently sitting at International Hospital- Tim was admitted yesterday mid-day. Have been here less than 24 hours and the medical care is ridiculous and atrocious. (Is that redundant?) If I knew where to get the meds that he needs here in Kampala we would just leave because he was getting, if not better, than at least less life threatening care, before we got here. Josh and Mandy are arranging many of the details

So, how am I feeling? I don't even know. Sleep debt is becoming a real problem. I'm functioning with half my brain I think and this isn't good because we (I) need to question EVERYTHING the doctors say. Like my late night conversation with the night shift doc. He had the results of the RFTs and didn't know how to interperet the results. I haven't had to do that in months and so I asked him what were normal values and what Tim's indicated. The long and short of his answer was he didn't know the normal ranges and Tim didn't have anything to worry about. So, I've refreshed myself on the ranges and indications and I'm ready for you next time buddy....

No comments: